Steven Patrick Sim - Independent Tartan Designer
line
Bookmark and Share
 
Arbroath's Teddy BearsArbroath's Teddy Bears

Notice Board

9.4.14




New Official Soft Toy now Launced! - Abbey McBrothock! Arbroath's Red Lichtie Tartan Westie! Available to buy online
!




ANGUS McLICHTIE & BELLE McROCK




Orders are still being taken for Angus McLichtie, limited bears left. Contact me to enquire if your preferred number is available!

Belle McRock is now sold out!

Kilt Prize draw will be held after Angus sells out!

  Home
  Tartan Teddy Bears
  Tartan Shop
  What is tartan?
  About the designer
  Tartan portfolio
  - DISTRICT

- Red Lichtie

- COMMEMORATIVE


- Bell Rock Lighthouse


- FAMILY


- NAME

- FASHION


- SCOTTISH WEDDINGS


  The weaving mills
  Contact information
Facebook Twitter Pinterest
Blog LinkedIn Get in touch!
Red Lichtie Shop Open

Follow me on Pinterest


Red Lichtie - Official District Tartan for Arbroath - Registered

...for all "far and near, who have associations with Arbroath"

Red Lichtie Tartan
Red Lichtie Tartan
Red Lichtie Tartan
Royal Burgh of Arbroath Community Council

Letter of adoption
from the
Royal Burgh of Arbroath Community Council



The Tartan of Lights



The Tartan of Lights


Red Lichtie ...looking regal



The Book Reading


In the Battlements



The big mirror


'Red Lichtie' - Scottish north east coast dialect for 'red light'.

Arbroath's official district tartan, adopted by the Royal Burgh of Arbroath Community Council, 5th Oct 2012.

Residents of Arbroath, a fishing town on the Scottish north east coast, are affectionately known as 'Red Lichties', an ancient nickname that local Arbroathians, as well as those abroad, adopt with a sense of pride.

Shrouded in folklore, with different stories being told through the ages, one notable tale is of the 'Round O' window of Arbroath Abbey being lit at night with a flame guiding seamen returning from sea. Such a light would certainly have shown mariners where Arbroath was but any ship using it would find itself running aground somewhere east of the actual harbour entrance.

More likely the name originates from Arbroath's original Parish Church, known as the Lady Chapel. Founded some time before 1455, and located at the north east corner of the marina where the Harbour Master’s office stands today, the chapel fell out of use around 1590. Inside the chapel there burned a red lamp. It is suggested that the folk of Arbroath were familiar with this red lamp or 'licht', which is the likely source of the 'Red Lichtie' name which they are today all so proud of.






The following three references support this idea:





'ARBROATH SIXTY YEARS AGO - 1857 to 1917'
By Peter D. Morton
1918

"THE LADY CHAPEL

The Parish Church of Arbroath once stood at the corner of the wet dock, near the Shore Dues Office. It was dedicated to the Blessed Virgin, and was usually known as the Lady Chapel. The Magistrates of the burgh were patrons of the chapel, and took an active interest in its affairs, both spiritual and temporal.

At the Reformation the chapel contained three alters, those of our Lady, St Nicholas, and St Duthac, founded by pious persons.

There were dues paid to the chaplains even from the Tolbooth of the burgh, these amounting to four merks annually. Other donations to the chapel are recorded. Some of them took the form of gifts of wax for the candles on the alters.

The Town Council ordained 'that the owners of horses and carts which passed over the brig of our Lady Chapel shall pay one pound of wax to our 'Lady licht.' This reference to the 'Lady licht,' it is understood refers to the red lamp that stood over the alter of St Nicholas in the chapel, and was hailed by the mariners of these far-off days as a friendly beacon shinning over the waters and guiding them to safety in the haven of the old Abbot's harbour.

It is suggested that it is from this red lamp or 'licht' that Arbroathians derive the name of 'Red Lichties' that they are all so proud of.

There is more probability in this suggestion than the absurd story of the worthy Bailie who painted the glass with the red paint. The Bailie would likely have had more sense than do anything of the kind."






'ROUND ABOUT THE ROUND O WITH ITS POETS'
By George Hay, F. S. A. Scot.
1883

"Besides the Shore, the picture shows in the distance part of Ladybridge Street. This street, together with Ladyloan—a continuation of the Shore—derives its name from the Lady Chapel, or Chapel of Our Lady of Aberbrothock, the principal of the district chapels dependent on the Abbey. The chapel stood on a site now included within the dock, and close to the farther end of the dock wall shown in the picture. The foundations of the chapel, and some mouldings, were discovered when the inner harbour was being converted into a wet dock a few years ago."

"Red Lichties - A ludicrous name sometimes given to Arbroath people, and having its origin, according to tradition, in the blunder of an ancient municipal magnate with regard to a harbour light."





ARBROATH - THE ROYAL BURGH OF ROMANCE
By P. Charles Carragher
1909

"The unfortunate incident of the painted red glass in the lantern of the port which brought to the town its world known by-name, has had the effect of creating amongst the Red Lichties themselves a community of understanding that is as remarkable as it is enduring, and draws them together in every clime and under every condition."






Online resources

Arbroath Harbour Chapel -
canmore.rcahms.gov.uk
Map showing location





The Red Lichtie tartan

The White, Scarlet and Red depict the 'Red Licht’.

Blues represent the maritime and fishing histories of Arbroath; Dark Blue representing deep water, the boat building and shipping industries; Light Blue representing shallow water and the fishing industry.

Red represents the red sandstone of Arbroath Abbey, and other buildings of the town.

The Five Gold Lines (converging on a red background) represent the iconic portcullis (the primary element in the Arbroath Coat of Arms), which used to be located at the entrance of Arbroath Abbey.

The Maroon shade represents the Arbroath FC, historically also known as 'The Red Lichties'. Founded in 1878 the club adopted a plain maroon jersey, inspired by the prominent local red sandstone. This remaining their colour ever since.

 

Orders taken for fabric and tailored products - please register your interest by filling in this form.





HAIL ! dear memento o' langsyne ;
A thousand mem'ries round thee twine ;
'Red Lichties' here or 'cross the brine,
In weal or woe,
Wad never, never like to tyne
Their Big Round O.


Verse extracted from:
'The Big Round O'
G. W. Donald - 1883

 


Red Lichtie Tartan
CURRENT STATUS - 10th August 2013

A fully enabled ecommerce website is currently under construction
Updates to be posted on facebook

SHOP with PRINTED tartan merchandise NOW OPEN!
Product requests taken.


PRICES FOR CUSTOM WEAVE
TAILORED GARMENTS & ACCESSORIES


Custom Weave - Traditional Full 8 Yard Kilt £455

Custom Weave - Casual 5 Yard Kilt £297

Custom Weave - Purled & Knotted Plaid £197

Custom Weave - Fringed Plaid £97

Kilt Garter Flashes £14 Pair

Neck Tie £22 Each

Bow Tie £24 Each

Cummerbund £45 Each

Cummerbund & Bow Tie Package £62 - Two Items

Worsted Light Weight Scarf £27 Each

Worsted Light Weight Sash £55 Each

Worsted Light Weight large shawl £90 Each

Worsted Light Weight Barnton Flat Cap £34 Each


___

NOTE: The above prices do not include packaging and shipping.


Light Weight Wool - Medium Weight Wool - Pure Silk


TARTAN WOVEN AT LOCHCARRON OF SCOTLAND, SELKIRK
Silk to be woven at D. C. Dalgliesh, Selkirk

PLEASE REGISTER YOUR INTEREST FOR TARTAN, KILTS AND TAILORED ITEMS BY FILLING OUT THIS FORM: I'm interested in...

Follow me on facebook for regular updates

Top of page

© Copyright 2014 Steven Patrick Sim - the Tartan Artisan - Scotland

Website by Dreambox®
The Tartan Artisan